Monday, June 30, 2008

Me and You

I know you to the tips of your toes,

little sprite, you spry, wiry,

conniving little imp, born to me

by laboring in the raw of the morning.

Born to me again each time you

turn your hip against me, nose in the

air, with the airs of a teenager, be you

only seven.

Little one, hair flying in all

directions, I know not only your

body but your mind as I see you

calculating just what it would take.

I know you like water knows to

turn ice when it’s cold. Like

caterpillars spinning cocoons in the

first ray of summer. Me and you,

we sometimes peanut butter and

spun honey while other times

horseradish and pistachio ice cream.

You know me too. Can catch me

in any mistake I make. Can herd me

over against any fence I build. Can

catch me at my own game time and again.

Me and you will never end although

today it may seem like it. But we

will come through this like all other

days, this day when you wish to fly

away from me like a butterfly unfolding

wet wings from its cocoon. So soon

you yearn to let go from me. So tight

I hold you fast.

Copyright 2008 Maia Twedt

1 comment:

MorMor said...

It's a tricky balance loving so much you want to hang on when the recipient of that love wants to pull free.

It is a dance that must play itself out--sometimes joyfully, sometimes painfully.

But the end result is two beautifully independent people bonded together forever!

MorMor